Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Obese.

That word is pretty highly charged for many people. To some it is even worse than being call fat. I was reading an entry from McNee, of the website "Former Fat Dudes", about the term obesity. It made me really rethink the term and its connotations. Really, it is a diagnosis not a descriptor.

http://formerfatdudes.com/2010/05/flashback-go-ahead-call-me-obese-i-dare-ya/

What struck me the most was Gastric Barbie's (http://gastricbypassbarbie.com/) comment.

"My obesity is in remission, but it could flair up at any moment. I recognize and respect that fact, but I choose not to fear it.
I think you and I share the philosophy that life is to be lived to the fullest. Morbid obesity robbed us of that opportunity; bariatric surgery gave it back.
Keep fighting that good fight. One day. One bite. One chew at a time."


My hope is to keep that mantra in my head...I am in remission, but it can flare up at any moment. I am the only one who can manage that.









No comments:

Post a Comment